1. Properly practiced creativity can make one ad do the work of ten.
2. In advertising not to be different is virtually suicidal.
3. Word of mouth is the best medium of all.
4. Our job is to sell our clients’ merchandise… not ourselves. Our job is to kill the cleverness that makes us shine instead of the product. Our job is to simplify, to tear away the unrelated, to pluck out the weeds that are smothering the product message.
5. Nobody counts the number of ads you run; they just remember the impression you make.
6. A great ad campaign will make a bad product fail faster. It will get more people to know it’s bad.
7. Properly practiced creativity must result in greater sales more economically achieved. Properly practiced creativity can lift your claims out of the swamp of sameness and make them accepted, believed, persuasive, urgent.
8. Advertising doesn’t create a product advantage. It can only convey it.
9. The most powerful element in advertising is the truth.
10. No matter how skillful you are, you can’t invent a product advantage that doesn’t exist. And if you do, and it’s just a gimmick, it’s going to fall apart anyway.
11. Because an appeal makes logical sense is no guarantee that it will work.