1. Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.
2. Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.
3. He who molds the public sentiment… makes statutes and decisions possible or impossible to make.
4. That some achieve great success, is proof to all that others can achieve it as well.
5. I can make more generals, but horses cost money.
6. If there is anything that a man can do well, I say let him do it. Give him a chance.
7. These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people; and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people’s money to settle the quarrel.
8. If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business.